Monday, January 26, 2009

It Matters to This One

This is a different type of post - I thought i would post this poem - it's definately a daily thought as a teacher. As stressful as the days can be, I do love my job and working with the kids! Often times when people ask what I teach - my response is usually kids. They will laugh about it and say ok what subject do you teach - I then go on to say Special Education and will get quizzed about how I could have that kind of job?! I do have stressful days, but it's all very rewarding. I love having the students come in and visit with me just because they know they can - or seniors now who I started with 3 years ago coming in and seeing me because they know they can! The students have always told me that the best quality of a teacher is one who they know they can come talk to when they need something! Anyways, enjoy the poem - there's so much truth to it!

It Matters to This One
Anonymous


As I walked along the seashore this young boy greeted me.
He was tossing a stranded starfish back into the deep blue sea.
I said, “Tell me why you bother ...
Why you waste your time this way?
There’s a million stranded starfish.
Does it matter anyway?”

And he said,
“It matters to this one. It deserves a chance to grow.
It matters to this one. I can’t save them all, I know.
But it matters to this one, I’ll return it to the sea.
It matters to this one. And it matters a lot to me.”

As I walked into the classroom the teacher greeted me.
She was helping Johnny study.
He was struggling --- I could see.
I said, “Tell me why you bother.
Why you waste your time this way?
Johnny’s only one of millions, does it matter anyway?”

And she said,
“It matters to this one. He deserves a chance to grow.
It matters to this one. I can’t save them all, I know.
But it matters to this one, I’ll help him be what he can be.
It matters to this one. And it matters a lot to me.”

No comments: