Saturday, January 3, 2009

Fishy Fishy in the Brook - Come bite on Sheila's hook!

We decided to go out with some friends ice fishing today. It was suppose to be near zero and below zero with winds. We thought that we don't ever catch fish when the sun is shining so maybe when the sun isn't shining we can. Our friend and his 2 kids came with us. Luckily, they had an ice house that we were able to use.
First, we went over to Newell Lake. I bet the winds were blowing at least 40 mph. We were trying to get the house set up and someone would have to stand in it while someone else was drilling the holes. Needless to say, I was standing in the ice house. Then our friend's son stood in it with me. All of a sudden the ice house started sliding across the ice with both of us in. Luckily the guys were able to stop it - then Mike put down the shovel and it blew 30 yards away on the ice and had to go chasing after it as it was blowing away. I'm sure we were a sight to see. Then after getting the house over the holes Mike drilled - we decided heck with this - we were miserable and thought we would drive over to Orman. So we loaded everything up again and packed in the pick-up and left. When we drove by Orman, it was still windy - we thought we would try Iron Creek. We had heard they were biting there. Plus, we knew it was kind of below the hills so it shouldn't be windy.
We finally get to Iron Creek and get everything set up and fishing. I hung out in the house a lot - it was still chilly - but pretty much no wind. Dennis (my boyfriend Mike's friend he plays softball with who we go fishing with - ok - little joke there - but Dennis will get it!) has a sensor that you can put in the water. It was tracking fish - but nothing was really biting. Finally, these other people who were fishing left so Mike went to their hole and ended up catching 2 trout. It was a cold long day - but 2 is better than 0. We are hoping to catch more fish ice fishing - I have yet to reel one in fishing. Tomorrow is Mike's birthday, so my family is coming to Spearfish and Mike's family is coming over for lunch. We got home from fishing and have been busy getting the house ready for company. I will post more pictures of that later! I hope everyone is staying warm - I think I can feel my toes again! :)


Loading up the ice house as a sled to take everything
to the Lake...Mike ended up walking in snow that
he fell into and was about chest deep in snow - I didn't
get my camera out soon enough.


Snow and the Lake.............................



Walking on the lake..


Owen & Jake outside the ice house


VICTORY - Dennis with our First Fish for 2009


Mike with Rainbow Trout #2


Owen fishing - to be a kid again!
OK - so I was bored?!

Mike thinks this fox hat makes him look sexy -
I don't know if I agree with that!

2 comments:

Miss Marnie said...

Hi there!

I think you should have a winter wedding and have your heart photo as the cover of your programs :).

Too cute!

Dave found a new recipe that GUARANTEES catching Walleyes. How can you pass that up...... a GUARANTEE!! I am going to be posting it on the blog in the next couple of days. You should try it out and see if it works any better in South Dakota than I have a feeling it is going to work in Wisconsin/Minnesota.

Enjoy your day,

Love,

Marnie

Anonymous said...

That would be a cute idea! I will have to keep it in mind.
Guarantees walleyes - does he know who he's talking to? We don't catch a lot of fish! :) Looking foward to reading it!
---Sheila