Sunday, January 31, 2010

Is it really Sunday night?

This weekend has been so great - I don't want it to end! I hate Sunday nights because I know I'm going back to work for the week. I love my job - I just love weekends a lot more!
At church on Friday night, there was a wild game feed. We tried some moose summer sausage, boar, bear, venison, pheasant, and elk. The boar was probably my favorite. It was a sweet taste with it.
We have heard that there was going to be an ice fishing tournament at Orman. I asked Mike if we could be in a tournament for once. (He ususally goes with Dennis because it's teams of 2 and i'm always left behind!) I got my way as Saturday morning, we were in an ice fishing tournament at Orman. We got some idea where to go from a teacher I work with and he told us how to ring out tip ups at. Check in was at 5 AM and you could start fishing after that. Then weigh in was at 6 PM. We were out on the ice just after 5 AM getting set up. I was pretty tired and crabby when we were setting up. I am definately a morning person - just not a 3:30 AM morning person.
It was so cold that morning - but we got it all set up. We sat in the house most of the time. We started off with getting a 18.5 inch walleye on a tip up. You can't keep walleye between 15-18 inches so Mike measured it about 20 times making sure that it was going to be big enough. Then Mike got another one while in the ice house. This one came off the hook right at the hole but he was able to reach in and get it. This one was definately - 20 inches!
Mike did manage to get about an 8 inch one early in the morning too. I caught about 5 of those - but we threw them back. We knew the tournament was on poundage, but we thought that would be a waste of a fish as there isn't much weight on them. We thought the 8 inch one was bigger than it was when we were done for the day. We were able to catch a couple good size perch too. One was 12 inches - it was the biggest perch I have seen!
We went to bring the tip ups in so we could go weigh in and realized we had another walleye on one. The flag didn't go up because it was froze. This one was 18 inches - darn we could only have 1 over 18 inches per fishing lisc.
We went and weighed in and had right at 5 pounds. Then they had supper and prizes in Belle so we went into that. We found out we lost by ounces. first second and third place were all about 1 ounce from each other - so we got 4th. Mike and I were pretty frusterated because if we would've kept those smaller ones - we would've easily won the tournament! But we keep telling ourselves, we were thinking of the fish and didn't want to waste them either. Everyone was only catching the bigger ones and each team could only keep 2 of those! Oh well - we just know we actually should've won! Ok actually, Mike did most of the work - all I could catch was the little ones! It was a long day as we didn't get home until close to 8 and had been since 3:30 that morning!
We decided to go out after church this morning. We got out there and it was so windy. We got everything set up. We missed some bigger ones and had a couple lines break but I did manage to catch another baby one!
This week will probably be busy as usual. Tomorrow is 3 months until our wedding. It's sneaking up and I'm getting sick of all the planning for it. I keep thinking we should've just went somewhere but everyone else tells me different!
My friend Stefanie from high school is coming up this weekend. I haven't seen her for quite a while so it will be good to see her!
For once I can say we have WALLEYE pictures to post :) (On a side note, when we were out fishing, out of the blue Mike looked at me with a smile on his face and said we actually have something to write about on the blog - it was pretty cute!)
Have a good week!





2 perch on the same tip up at the same time.
Mike's hand is covering it but it was close to 11 inches


20 inch walleye



Checking the tip up


Smaller one



first walleye ice fishing since we've started dating!
It only took almost 3 years!!!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I'm sure your wedding is going to be everything you want it to be, but I'm partial to eloping. It's much less stressful. Can't believe it's only 3 months away.