When Grandma was turning 75, we wanted to have a birthday party for her. (Maybe it's not birthday party when they are older - but a get together) Grandma threw a fit at us and said no she didn't want one - we could throw her one when she was 80. We tried everything to let us do something for her and she refused to let us.
I had the idea that I wanted to make a family video for her. I got ahold of my relatives and got pictures from each of their families. Then I picked which ones to use, in which order and got everything organized with it. We picked songs to use on it. I used Grandma's favorite songs. I had told her that I was doing a project for school and needed to know all these favorite things - including songs. She didn't have a clue what I was doing! Then a friend of mine put it all together on a dvd for me. It is such a special DVD as it starts with Grandma as a kid, and goes all the way through to the point we were at in our lives then. We were able to make everyone a copy. Grandma absolutely loved the video. I think she cried the whole way through! We played it at her funeral, then added one to it with the 2 great-grandkids she had when she passed away.
I am so fortunate that I was able to grow up so close to Grandma! I loved going home to Wall and going to Grandma's or going over in the evenings when I lived in Wall. I definately want my kids to have the same experience. I can't remember one event in my life that Grandma wasn't at up until she passed away.
I am so glad that she was able to meet Mike and spend time with him. I even talked to her before I moved in because I knew moving in together wasn't "right" in everyone's eyes. She told me that times have changed and I'm a smart girl and I just do what I think is right. She said that obviously Mike is the right guy for me and I just do what I need to do. Mike's grandma is going to be 91 in March. He eats lunch with her everyday and has since he was in high school. There are days when the food doesn't quite taste right or days that she asks Mike how his wife (me) is. He just smiles and carries on. I am so glad that both of us have had the experience we have with our grandmas!
I'm sure Grandpa, Grandma, Merle and everyone else are having quite the game of cards or dominos for her birthday!
Here's a little saying I found! There wasn't an author with it - but I have had it on myspace page!
We thought of you with love today,
but that is nothing new.
We thought about you yesterday,
and the day before that too.
We think of you with every silence,
we often speak your name.
All we have now are memories
and your pictures in a frame.
Your memories are our keepsakes
with which we'll never part.
God has you in his keeping,
we have you in our heart.
It broke our hearts to lose you,
but you did not go alone. A part of us went with you
the day he called you home.

2 comments:
With just losing Grandma Teddy and her funeral this week your post really hit home.
As someone wrote in the comments on Grandma Teddy; "Oh for the love of a Grandma!"
There must be quite a card game going on in heaven. Grandma Teddy loved cards too!
I lit a candle for both Grandmas today.
Marnie,
Yes, Grandmas are special people. Unfortunately, I didn't get to know our Grandma (Hulbert) too well. I was too young to remember much - but i do remember that she always seemed to have her hair under a dryer :) (Maybe that's just from pictures I remember that!)
That was nice of you to light one for Grandma Elsie too too :)
FYI - my wireless isn't working right so I prob. won't update the blog until it's fixed - so I'm not bailing - just have techincal difficulties :)
Post a Comment