Monday, September 7, 2009

First Week of School!

We were using last weekend to get caught up on some things before Mike goes on his bear hunt this weekend. I told Mike I wanted him to plan a nice picnic for me. We got this cute new picnic basic so I told him we could use that. So I was thinking, we'd go up to the canyon somewhere - but Mike had other ideas. We go to Barbocoas, get it to go, and go to the park. There was a table by the creek so he kept telling me that he reserved it just for me. Then some other people started walking that way too so he started walking faster and said we better hurry before they get it. I guess I should've known - Mr. Not so Romantic. It was nice anyway though - I guess I will have to plan our lunch in the canyon sometime :)
Reese, Mike's nephew, is able to do a mentored deer hunt this year. Mike loves to take his nephews out and hunt with them. So Saturday, he took Reese up to the rifle range to help him shoot the gun. To me, it's too young for be shooting - but the only thing Reese will do with it is shoot the deer. Mike has to carry it, load it, etc. Some states kids can hunt as young as 5 so I guess 10 isn't so bad here. (I think it's 10)



Mike & Reese at rifle range


Reese practicing shooting
Last weekend, we watched the girls on Saturday night. Gary and Sommerlyn had a free night to use in Deadwood. Both the girls were so good and Miranda didn't wake up a whole lot either! I only took a couple pics. The first one is Malaya helping Mike put corn in the water for corn on the cob.

Kind of blurry - Miranda was a happy baby!



Helping Mike with the corn
Monday was the first day of school. It was a long day as we do picture day that too. I met my kids and am really looking forward to working with them. It was also good to see my students from last year too. I really do miss them and worry about them during the summer! It's good to see their smiling faces again :)
Monday afternoon, Mike got a phonecall that he needed to go to the hosp. because they didn't think his grandma was going to make it. That morning his mom called the ambulance as she thought that she was having a stroke. Took her in - ended up being a UTI ( guess UTI has the same symptoms as a stroke in an older person). That afternoon, Mike's Grandma was unconsious and couldn't get her to wake up. Mary called the ambulance again. Her heart rate was very very low and that's when they thought she wouldn't make it. Mike put off going and seeing her until I got home. We went there and she was awake, but had no idea who anyone was. They releated what had happened to some heart medicine that had gotten changed. We went back the next day and she knew who we were! She is 91 years old and has always called me Mike's wife. We have never told her different so she's not confused - not sure what will happen at our wedding! Anyway, that night she was back to calling me his wife again. They ended up putting her in a nursing home temporarily and will go from there to see what she will do. We are so thankful that she is ok. Mike is very close to his grandma and grew up with her the same way we grew up with grandma. He has eaten lunch at her house every day since high school. It sure brought back memories this week though!
So on top of being the first week of school, it was a crazy hetic week being with his grandma in the evenings.
Saturday morning, Mike left for Minnesota to go on his bear hunt. He is going with different guides this year and seems to be much happier with them. They have been e-mailing pics from the trail cams and just seem a little more together. I talked to him last night, and he said last week 8/9 people got a bear through this guide. The guy who didn't was being picky about the size - and then missed when he finally did shoot one. So we are hoping and praying he gets a bear this time. Plans are for him to be home Sunday or Monday. It's a long week around here with him gone! Hopefully next week I have bear pictures to post!

No comments: