Mike took off to spend a week up by Washkish (SP?), MN for bear hunting. I am absolutely scared when Mike's hunting bears - he tells me he's safe in a tree - but I'm not dumb I know bears can climb trees. I haev been told time and time again that black bears won't hurt him - it's the grizzly bears that people have to watch out for. They stayed in Dennis' parents cabin. It was so nice of them to let Mike and Luke stay there. They were able to at least watch movies on their down time and have beds to sleep in.
The first day of Mike's bear hunting - him and Luke didn't see a thing. He was a little down - as he really thought he was going to see something. The second day of hunting, Mike didn't see anything again. He could've had a limit on squirrels and mosquitos. When I talked to him that night, he was pretty down. He was really hoping to see something. Luke didn't see anything either.
The third day of hunting - Mike had one come in behind him - but wasn't in shooting range. They knew the time it came in and was banking on it coming in the next night. Luke still didn't see anything - they kept moving around tree stands trying to find a place that they would see one!The next morning, I got a text from Mike saying "I will get a bear today." Come to find out - he did get a bear that day. Mike was sitting in his stand and this bear came up to the base of his tree stand. He turned and started walking away and he didn't want it to get away so he shot it with his bow! He only ran about 30 yards which made the tracking easier. It was 180 lbs live weight and when held up about 5'9". I was so proud of him. Luke did see one the next day and shot at one - but didn't hit it. It was just a quick shot as it was going away. Luke was ok with it though - as he had the opportunity to shoot one. Mike came home on Sunday. I was so excited to see him. We dropped the bear hide off at a taxidermist and will have a bear rug in about 6 months. We now have bear meet in our freezer. We have heard both good and bad things about it - so we will try it sometime and see!
The first day of Mike's bear hunting - him and Luke didn't see a thing. He was a little down - as he really thought he was going to see something. The second day of hunting, Mike didn't see anything again. He could've had a limit on squirrels and mosquitos. When I talked to him that night, he was pretty down. He was really hoping to see something. Luke didn't see anything either.
The third day of hunting - Mike had one come in behind him - but wasn't in shooting range. They knew the time it came in and was banking on it coming in the next night. Luke still didn't see anything - they kept moving around tree stands trying to find a place that they would see one!The next morning, I got a text from Mike saying "I will get a bear today." Come to find out - he did get a bear that day. Mike was sitting in his stand and this bear came up to the base of his tree stand. He turned and started walking away and he didn't want it to get away so he shot it with his bow! He only ran about 30 yards which made the tracking easier. It was 180 lbs live weight and when held up about 5'9". I was so proud of him. Luke did see one the next day and shot at one - but didn't hit it. It was just a quick shot as it was going away. Luke was ok with it though - as he had the opportunity to shoot one. Mike came home on Sunday. I was so excited to see him. We dropped the bear hide off at a taxidermist and will have a bear rug in about 6 months. We now have bear meet in our freezer. We have heard both good and bad things about it - so we will try it sometime and see!
**Dates are wrong on the camera - for some reason I can't count and set it as August!
Mike's truck all loaded up ready to go
Dennis' parents cabin
Mike & his bear
Another pic..
Mike & Luke

Almost 5'9"
It was also grandparent's day this weekend. I made Mike's grandma a candy bouquet and we took it to her Sunday. She was excited to hear from the "hunter." Mike wasn't too happy about taking a picture and I let him know that he's lucky to still have a grandma to take a picture with! He didn't argue after that. I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of the week. We have been running like crazy this week. I hope it slows down a bit soon!
Almost 5'9"
It was also grandparent's day this weekend. I made Mike's grandma a candy bouquet and we took it to her Sunday. She was excited to hear from the "hunter." Mike wasn't too happy about taking a picture and I let him know that he's lucky to still have a grandma to take a picture with! He didn't argue after that. I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of the week. We have been running like crazy this week. I hope it slows down a bit soon!

No comments:
Post a Comment